This spring’s joint meeting will be held at Pima CC – Desert Vista in Tucson, AZ on April 6 & 7. This meeting combines the members of ArizMATYC and the Southwestern Section of the MAA for a two day event that includes a Friday night dinner and guest speaker.
Conference organizers welcome your proposal to speak and/or your offer to preside at a session. We look forward to seeing you at the conference!
A Pre-conference Workshop on Inquiry-Based Learning will be held prior to the ArizMATYC/MAA Spring 2018 Conference at Pima CC. The Pre-Conference Workshop will be 10 am – 4 pm on Thursday, April 5 at Desert Vista Campus. Cost: FREE but space limited to 35 attendees, so sign up soon!
Mathematics faculty from around the state gathered at Chandler-Gilbert Community College on Friday, October 6 to consider “Teaching Mathematics in 2017 and Beyond”. The conference featured three keynote speakers, Dr. Ted Coe, Dr. Francis Su, and Dr. Pat Thompson who were tasked to challenge participants to consider the role that mathematics faculty play in developing mathematical literate students.
Continue reading ArizMATYC Fall 2017 Conference Wrap-Up
Save the Date:
This conference will include two keynote speakers, a panel discussion, and active discussions all focused on questions such as:
- What do our students need to succeed in a 2017 world and beyond?
- What role could/should technology play in learning mathematics?
- How do we maintain a rigorous balance between conceptual understanding, procedural fluency, application/problem solving?
- What strategies are most effective for student success in the mathematics classroom?
- What mathematics should be taught and how should we teach it to meet the needs of our students and the academic/work culture they will face?
Plan to join your colleagues for active discussion about the teaching and learning of mathematics! Details about presenting, registration and accommodations will be posted soon.
The spring meeting of ArizMATYC will be at Mohave Community College in Lake Havasu City on Friday, March 31.
We are accepting conference proposals and conference registrations. To access the spring 2017 conference webpage, click on Next Meeting in the menu.
Block out your calendars, the Fall ArizMATYC Conference is set for Friday, October 9 at Mesa Community College. Full details may be found on the Next Meeting page above.
- An opportunity to rub elbows with colleagues from around the state
- Many fascinating conference presentations
- The ever popular articulation meeting
- Campus reports
- Campus art tour
- Centrally located in Mesa, Arizona
All for $15 (includes a membership to ArizMATYC!). To preregister for the conference, use the link on the Next Meeting page.
By Ana Jimenez, Pima College
The Fall 2014 ArizMATYC Conference and Articulation Task Force (ATF) Meeting took place at Pima Community College’s Northwest Campus on Friday, October 10, 2014. The Conference began early Friday morning with a breakfast and welcome addresses from Pima Community College Northwest Campus President David Doré and AMATYC Southwest Regional Vice-President Kate Kozak. Sessions included topics ranging from learning communities to differentiation tricks.
Continue reading ArizMATYC Fall 2014 Conference and ATF Report
ArizMATYC Conference: Directions in Mathematics
Friday, October 10 in Tucson, Arizona
- “An Introduction to Calcplot3D”
- “I Flipped Out in My Flipped Classroom”
- “Kinesthetic body awareness in the College Algebra classroom”
Check out the Complete ArizMATYC Conference Session List (with Descriptions)
AZ DevEd Summit: Directions in Developmental Education
Saturday, October 11 in Tucson, Arizona
- “Learning Communities to Support Developmental Education Students”
- “Fear of Language: How Language Anxiety Perpetuates Life-Long Writing Challenges”
- “Impact of the Student Success Coach”
Check out the Complete AZ DevEd Summt Session List (with Descriptions)
Pima College’s Northwest Campus will be the location of the ArizMATYC meeting this fall. This meeting will be held jointly with the Arizona Developmental Education Summit. Because of this we expect a good turn out for both meetings. Set aside the dates, Friday, October 10 and Saturday, October 11, to attend both meetings.
You can get to the conference website by selecting the Next Meeting link on the menu at the top of the page.